Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Early Learning Should Be...

Inexpensive, fun, and flexible. Lack of money shouldn't be an obstacle to homeschooling, especially in the early years. Learning through play is so important are there are tons of early learning activities that can be done with inexpensive materials. Some helpful things for success and ease for pre-K and K would be the internet, a printer, some art supplies, and a library card. In the early years, you can even do well without internet access at home or a printer because most libraries have public access and you can research ideas for crafts and activites and make your own supplies.

Here are some of my favorite supplies that are inexpensive and can be used in so many ways:

•Dry erase boards and markers
•Cookie sheet for magnet activies
•Letter strips (I got mine at the Dollar Tree)
•Some kind of manipulative for math (ie bingo chips, little toys, counting blocks, paperclips, goldfish crackers/snack items, etc....)
•Play-doh (extra fun if you can get alphabet cookie cutter shapes)
•Sheet protectors (great for reusable worksheets)
•Basic art supplies like paper, pencils, markers, crayons

Each week I will spotlight great activities you can do with your little learners featuring supplies from this list, so make sure to check back for updates!


2 comments:

  1. I purchase about 99% of our materials from the Dollar Tree or the 99 cent store. While it is cheap, it is also easy to overspend because everything is "just a $1".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand! I have learned to avoid the school supplies aisle when I know that I have stuff at home to use because I can't avoid temptation! I do love their educational posters though and have had several on my walls in the school area for years.

      Delete