Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Downside to Customized Planning

So I was working on my son's spelling lists today when a disturbing thought hit me. Chances are, the lists that I'm compiling now for him are going to be useless when I start schooling kiddo number 2. Right now, I am basing his lists on a combination of basic phonics words and then adding in high frequency words. I have found that this style works great for him since the simpler lists that I found online were far too easy. My daughter will probably have totally different spelling abilities and move at a different pace than he is, so I will most likely have to start from scratch when it's her turn to start doing spelling lists. The one consolation is that I would probably have to adapt the material in the workbooks to fit their levels, so I would probably be doing at least some of the legwork anyway.

I just figured that I needed to share my mini realization--although there is great freedom and flexibility in gathering and creating your own materials, sometimes the task can seem daunting. It's still definitely worth it and it's great that there is so much information available online that buying expensive materials is no longer required.

I'll be back soon with some of my favorite sites that I have been using so far this year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment