Saturday, July 18, 2015

Friday Freebie-Book Review

I love the format of a book review because it is a great transition into traditional reports. If I asked my son to write a paragraph format report on a book, I would get handed a page of choppy and weak sentences. I could practically hear him calculating the least amount of words possible to complete the assignments. With book reviews, the questions serve as prompts and since I was asking him to share his opinion, he focused more on content and less on how to evade long sentences. I created this early stage review with emphasis on identifying main characters and included spaces for writing sentences that are opinion based rather than a detailed discussion of plot elements. Once he mastered this one, I was able to transition him to more detailed report templates and then eventually to paragraph format reports. You can grab the freebie here and if you like it, please let me know on my blog or on the Teachers Pay Teachers site.

No comments:

Post a Comment