Sunday, November 14, 2010

I am starting this blog as a way to share some of the many tips I've received from other homeschooling moms and also to share things that I am learning along the way. This has been an incredibly strange and challenging year for my family, but we didn't want our financial situation to prevent us from homeschooling our son. What I've discovered is that it is very possible to create a comprehensive curriculum on a very tight budget.

When I started researching all the different materials available online, I was amazed by the range in prices for the different styles of curriculum and by the sheer volume of programs to choose from. I also did a lot of google searches on free curriculum and wasn't overly impressed by the different free options (some of which weren't even free). But I did find tons of great resources and worksheets, so I started focusing my searches on those items. After I saw what was available online, I was able to choose some supplemental workbooks from a major bookstore that offers their educators card to homeschooling parents, which gives a 20% discount.

We're now starting our third month of school, and I've spent less than $30 on all his workbooks and supplies, which is much less than we would have spent if we had gone the public school option. I'm also able to customize his lesson plans and work at his speed, and we're able to do a lot of hands on and practical learning. We don't have to rush out the door super early in the morning or wait for a school bus in the dark, and I get to watch his excitement as he learns new stuff every day.

It's been a wild ride so far, but it's one i wouldn't trade for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment